Tuesday, 21 May 2013
ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has tota... » TWENTY-SIX-YEAR-OLD Shaka Chase of 169 East Ruim...
Rise up against opposition stand on money launderi... » WITH six days left before Guyana comes up for revi...
Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- includi... » Moore, Oklahoma (CNN) -- Rescue workers raced agai...
Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -... » AN opinion survey conducted by the North American ...
Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who ... » TODAY marks eight years since two sugar workers, M...
Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion ... » THE Forensic Laboratory currently under constructi...
GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-D... » The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) will be placed in...
|Bar Association mum on Ramjattan’s, Hughes’ legal improprieties|
|Monday, 06 August 2012 21:05|
The Guyana Bar Association remains mum on the issue of the accusations made against Leader of the Alliance For Change (AFC) and Attorney at law Khemraj Ramjattan, and now Chairman of the Party and Attorney at law Nigel Hughes.
Veronica Da Silva and MIchael Taharally have accused Ramjattan of giving consent to the sale of Da Silva’s property located at 240 & 241 Camp Street, Georgetown in 2006, without their permission. Da Silva stated that she had agreed to pay Ramjattan $1M but he instead took $3M. Ramjattan additionally sold the property evaluated at $90M for $55M.
Da Silva and Taharally have since lodged a formal complaint at the Registrar of the Supreme Court under the Legal Practioner’s Act against Ramjattan. The couple is seeking to have their monies and the property returned and for Ramjattan to be removed from the Bar for betraying the principles of the legal profession.
On the issue of Nigel Hughes, the Bar Association has again not yet made any kind of statement. Hughes was ordered by the court to pay taxes due to the Guyana Revenue Authority. .
It must be noted that both Ramjattan and Hughes, whilst being prominent lawyers, are also prominent political figures as leaders of the AFC.
More Top Stories
- ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has total of 17 witnesses, defence has lots of alibi evidence
- Rise up against opposition stand on money laundering law …PPP wants social forces to bring to bear pressure over hardline stand
- Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- including 7 elementary school students
- Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -according to latest NACTA poll
- Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who disappeared eight years ago
- Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion -equipment to begin arriving next week
- Tree pins Wakapao pensioner to death
- 24-year old missing after vessel capsizes
- GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-Dr Singh
- Three persons detained for Mootoos killing
- No flexibility with importation of banned, restricted chemicals-Dr Ramsammy
- The dramatically changing Georgetown skyline
- Ramjattan a no-show for anti-money laundering meet : --Opposition bent on scuttling process
- GECOM successfully concludes extended registration
- NACTA poll finds… : Even APNU, AFC supporters ‘disappointed’ with their performance : --also against calls for snap elections
- WPO calls M&CC out (Bg, big head) : --for ‘reprehensible’ attack on Town Clerk (Ag)
- Bandits beat, shoot Turkeyen resident in early morning robbery : --Bullet lodged between victim’s lung and rib
- K&VC murder accused remanded until May 21
- Home Affairs launches “I Paid A Bribe” website
- Luncheon slams opposition over vicious designs to remove PPP/C gov’t