Tuesday, 21 May 2013
ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has tota... » TWENTY-SIX-YEAR-OLD Shaka Chase of 169 East Ruim...
Rise up against opposition stand on money launderi... » WITH six days left before Guyana comes up for revi...
Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- includi... » Moore, Oklahoma (CNN) -- Rescue workers raced agai...
Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -... » AN opinion survey conducted by the North American ...
Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who ... » TODAY marks eight years since two sugar workers, M...
Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion ... » THE Forensic Laboratory currently under constructi...
GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-D... » The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) will be placed in...
|Linden unrest continues despite some contentions of protestors met -HPS|
|Thursday, 02 August 2012 21:29|
EVEN as engagements on the way forward continue among representatives from the Government, Opposition, Region 10 administration, Regional Chamber of Commerce and Private Sector, Linden protestors continue to block the roadways and access to the mining community.
And despite some of the protestors’ contentions being addressed, access remains prohibited, forcing President Donald Ramotar on July 28 to abort a planned visit to community to address Lindeners’ concerns, Head of the Presidential Secretariat Dr. Roger Luncheon told media operatives yesterday at a post-Cabinet briefing to the Office of the President.
Since then, meetings have been held on a continuous basis at the Office of the President and will continue until a decision is made and the issue resolved.
“There have been talks about no other government official visiting the region… the difficulties then with the arrangements and the fact that those difficulties persist, I would hazard a guess that the denial of access to the President would be extended to any other member of the administration seeking a similar exercise,” he said.
A Commission of Inquiry was set up to commence work on what led to the deaths of three protestors on July 18.
“My expectation is that after considerable engagement with the prime stakeholders, the final draft (Terms of Reference) would be approved,” the HPS explained.
However, he stated that thus far, efforts have been made by both Opposition and Government members to identify international representatives to serve on the Commission of Inquiry, but no commitments have yet been made.
More Top Stories
- ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has total of 17 witnesses, defence has lots of alibi evidence
- Rise up against opposition stand on money laundering law …PPP wants social forces to bring to bear pressure over hardline stand
- Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- including 7 elementary school students
- Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -according to latest NACTA poll
- Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who disappeared eight years ago
- Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion -equipment to begin arriving next week
- Tree pins Wakapao pensioner to death
- 24-year old missing after vessel capsizes
- GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-Dr Singh
- Three persons detained for Mootoos killing
- No flexibility with importation of banned, restricted chemicals-Dr Ramsammy
- The dramatically changing Georgetown skyline
- Ramjattan a no-show for anti-money laundering meet : --Opposition bent on scuttling process
- GECOM successfully concludes extended registration
- NACTA poll finds… : Even APNU, AFC supporters ‘disappointed’ with their performance : --also against calls for snap elections
- WPO calls M&CC out (Bg, big head) : --for ‘reprehensible’ attack on Town Clerk (Ag)
- Bandits beat, shoot Turkeyen resident in early morning robbery : --Bullet lodged between victim’s lung and rib
- K&VC murder accused remanded until May 21
- Home Affairs launches “I Paid A Bribe” website
- Luncheon slams opposition over vicious designs to remove PPP/C gov’t