Tuesday, 21 May 2013
Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion ... » THE Forensic Laboratory currently under constructi...
GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-D... » The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) will be placed in...
No flexibility with importation of banned, restric... » MINISTER of Agriculture, Dr. Leslie Ramsammy has s...
The dramatically changing Georgetown skyline » In recent years, the skyline of Georgetown has tak...
Ramjattan a no-show for anti-money laundering meet... » ATTORNEY-General and Minister of Legal Affairs, An...
GECOM successfully concludes extended registration » THE Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) yesterday ...
|Venezuelan remanded pending sentence for illegal gun, ammo|
|Friday, 27 July 2012 21:11|
VENEZUELAN Jesus Alberto Bejia Guarupe appeared in court yesterday, on two charges of being in possession of a firearm and ammunition without valid licences.
It was alleged that, on July 26, at Eteringbang, in the Cuyuni District, he had a .42 automatic pistol and six live rounds of 6.45 bullets. Guarupe pleaded guilty to both offences before Acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.
Police Corporal Simone Payne, prosecuting, said ranks at Eteringbang Station received information, carried out a search on the defendant and found the gun and bullets in his pants crotch.
Through an interpreter, Guarupe said he could not speak English and related that the gun is not his property but belongs to someone in Venezuela who gave him to negotiate a sale and he agreed.
The magistrate remanded him to prison and ordered that a representative of the Venezuelan Consulate be present when the defendant returns to court, for sentencing, on July 30.
- Defendant with other pending narcotic charge remanded
- From Red Dragonâ€¦ $650,000 bail for second human trafficking defendant
- Court toldâ€¦ Prisoner admits robbing woman
- Man jailed for robbing overseas-based Guyanese visitor
- Minibus driver placed on bail for assaulting â€˜pestâ€™.
- Neighbours at odds over fencing
- Wife favours counselling to resolve domestic dispute
- Mother and son at odds over â€˜sweet manâ€™
- Misbehaving child-father fined for annoying child-mother
- Alleged coconut thief granted $90,000 bail
- Sophia man accused of assaulting cop faces two other charges
- Man threatens to kill sibling over dog urine
- Irate husband assaults wife after accusing her of infidelity
- Alleged household thief granted $100,000 bail
- Man assaults woman â€˜for nothingâ€™
- â€˜Turkeyâ€™ charged with possession of narcotics
- Enmore housewife faces two charges
- Angry son placed on $30,000 bail for damaging motherâ€™s water tank
- In wounding caseâ€¦Man accepts $800,000 compensation for damaged jaws
- Remanded prisoner robbed same man twice - Prosecutor