Monday, 20 May 2013
Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion ... » THE Forensic Laboratory currently under constructi...
GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-D... » The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) will be placed in...
No flexibility with importation of banned, restric... » MINISTER of Agriculture, Dr. Leslie Ramsammy has s...
The dramatically changing Georgetown skyline » In recent years, the skyline of Georgetown has tak...
Ramjattan a no-show for anti-money laundering meet... » ATTORNEY-General and Minister of Legal Affairs, An...
GECOM successfully concludes extended registration » THE Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) yesterday ...
|11-yr-old boy commits suicide|
|Saturday, 14 July 2012 22:08|
THE quiet West Bank Demerara community of La Parfaite Harmonie was, on Friday last, mourning the loss of 11-year-old Marcelio Gladstone of Lot 11 Westminister, who ended his life by hanging.
His aunt, Cheryl Brumell, told the Guyana Chronicle yesterday that the family‚Äôs pastor has since recognized the death as ‚Äėunnatural‚Äô. She noted that after Marcelio had hanged himself by a piece of rope attached to the rafter in his bedroom, his body had somehow looked different.
Brumell said Marcelio‚Äôs sister had discovered him hanging when she went to inform him that dinner was ready. She said the lad seemingly had no problems at home, and was deemed ‚Äėnormal‚Äô, like any other boy his age. Moreover, he had shown no signs of being depressed.
Brumell said that when Marcelio‚Äôs mother returned from work, shortly after 5 pm on Friday, she had observed him lying in a chair, and had asked him to go wash his feet, since they were muddy, and he had complied with the request.
His mother had also told him to go to his bedroom until dinner was ready, but he had said he was not hungry, and that was the last time he had been seen alive.
Brumell noted that, after some time had elapsed, the mother had sent Marcelio‚Äôs sister to summon him for dinner, and the lass had run out of the bedroom, telling her mother that Marcelio had hanged himself.
The incredulous mother had gone to verify this information, whereupon her screams had alerted neighbours, who summoned the police to the scene, Brumell disclosed to this publication.
She observed that Marcelio‚Äôs untimely death has indeed shocked the family, since he had seemed to be happy living with his mother and two siblings after their father had left the home sometime ago.
She said that Marcelio‚Äôs 21-year-old brother, who had lived with his father in Georgetown, had ended his life by hanging in January this year, as well, because he had been having personal problems with a girl he was dating, and that had been coupled with domestic issues he had been experiencing.
Neighbours yesterday described Marcelio as being like any other boy in the village. They said he was often seen playing with the community children, and had even secured a place at a high school in the city, having sat the recent National Grade Six Assessment (NGSA) examinations.
A post-mortem is expected to be performed on Marcelio‚Äôs body tomorrow.
The official police version of the incident is that, at about 19:30 hrs last Friday, Marcelio Gladstone was found hanging in his bedroom from a piece of rope tied to the roof. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the West Demerara Regional Hospital (WDRH).
More Top Stories
- Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion -equipment to begin arriving next week
- Tree pins Wakapao pensioner to death
- 24-year old missing after vessel capsizes
- GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-Dr Singh
- Three persons detained for Mootoos killing
- No flexibility with importation of banned, restricted chemicals-Dr Ramsammy
- The dramatically changing Georgetown skyline
- Ramjattan a no-show for anti-money laundering meet : --Opposition bent on scuttling process
- GECOM successfully concludes extended registration
- NACTA poll finds‚Ä¶ : Even APNU, AFC supporters ‚Äėdisappointed‚Äô with their performance : --also against calls for snap elections
- WPO calls M&CC out (Bg, big head) : --for ‚Äėreprehensible‚Äô attack on Town Clerk (Ag)
- Bandits beat, shoot Turkeyen resident in early morning robbery : --Bullet lodged between victim‚Äôs lung and rib
- K&VC murder accused remanded until May 21
- Home Affairs launches ‚ÄúI Paid A Bribe‚ÄĚ website
- Luncheon slams opposition over vicious designs to remove PPP/C gov‚Äôt
- Packed agenda for Independence Anniversary
- Abickie freed of step-father‚Äôs murder : ‚Ä¶discharged by Judge
- Guyana‚Äôs international obligations hijacked by Opposition : ‚Ä¶Dr Luncheon bemoans ‚Äúpolitical misadventure is afoot‚ÄĚ
- Private sector wants House to act swiftly on money laundering laws ‚Ä¶says Guyana cannot afford to be blacklisted
- GPL workers get wage increase ‚Ä¶union wants $5B cut from GPL to be reinstated