Tuesday, 21 May 2013
ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has tota... » TWENTY-SIX-YEAR-OLD Shaka Chase of 169 East Ruim...
Rise up against opposition stand on money launderi... » WITH six days left before Guyana comes up for revi...
Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- includi... » Moore, Oklahoma (CNN) -- Rescue workers raced agai...
Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -... » AN opinion survey conducted by the North American ...
Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who ... » TODAY marks eight years since two sugar workers, M...
Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion ... » THE Forensic Laboratory currently under constructi...
GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-D... » The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) will be placed in...
|GWI alerts customers after attempted fraud in Berbice|
|Tuesday, 19 June 2012 22:11|
GUYANA Water Inc. (GWI), on Monday, cautioned customers countrywide to continue being vigilant as there are persons posing as its employees, going around fleecing unsuspecting customers of money.
The caution followed the disclosure, by Divisional Revenue Manager, East Berbice, Mr. Mark Ramdial, that a man is in Police custody after he tried to defraud a customer at Nigg, Corentyne, last week Monday.
Ramdial related that, at about 14:00 hrs, he received a telephone call from the customer who stated that a man claiming he was a GWI employee asked for $1,000 after examining her meter.
But the fraudster did not have a GWI identification card and the woman said she became suspicious when he did not produce a badge, at her request, and she immediately contacted the GWI office in her area.
Ramdial said he advised the customer that the agency did not have any campaign in that area and he requested her to keep the person occupied until he got there.
He said, when he arrived at the woman’s residence, the man was under the house talking and, right away, he recognised that the man was not employed by GWI and was promptly taken to Albion Police Station.
Ramdial told the Guyana Chronicle that the con artist is of Indian descent, was well dressed, had a bag with some money and a notebook but refused to give his name and address.
The suspect is not known to be from the Nigg area but farther along the Corentyne and has a regular practice of going around collecting money under false pretence.
The GWI official said, last year, there was a similar occurrence in Berbice and the man was dealt with legally.
Ramdial, however, maintained that customers must call any GWI office to report illegal and suspicious activities by persons pretending to be employees.
Reports can be made on the GWI hotline telephone number 227-8703, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or post photos on GWI’s facebook page at www.facebook.com/everydropcountsgy.
More Top Stories
- ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has total of 17 witnesses, defence has lots of alibi evidence
- Rise up against opposition stand on money laundering law …PPP wants social forces to bring to bear pressure over hardline stand
- Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- including 7 elementary school students
- Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -according to latest NACTA poll
- Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who disappeared eight years ago
- Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion -equipment to begin arriving next week
- Tree pins Wakapao pensioner to death
- 24-year old missing after vessel capsizes
- GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-Dr Singh
- Three persons detained for Mootoos killing
- No flexibility with importation of banned, restricted chemicals-Dr Ramsammy
- The dramatically changing Georgetown skyline
- Ramjattan a no-show for anti-money laundering meet : --Opposition bent on scuttling process
- GECOM successfully concludes extended registration
- NACTA poll finds… : Even APNU, AFC supporters ‘disappointed’ with their performance : --also against calls for snap elections
- WPO calls M&CC out (Bg, big head) : --for ‘reprehensible’ attack on Town Clerk (Ag)
- Bandits beat, shoot Turkeyen resident in early morning robbery : --Bullet lodged between victim’s lung and rib
- K&VC murder accused remanded until May 21
- Home Affairs launches “I Paid A Bribe” website
- Luncheon slams opposition over vicious designs to remove PPP/C gov’t