Wednesday, 22 May 2013
ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has tota... » TWENTY-SIX-YEAR-OLD Shaka Chase of 169 East Ruim...
Rise up against opposition stand on money launderi... » WITH six days left before Guyana comes up for revi...
Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- includi... » Moore, Oklahoma (CNN) -- Rescue workers raced agai...
Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -... » AN opinion survey conducted by the North American ...
Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who ... » TODAY marks eight years since two sugar workers, M...
Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion ... » THE Forensic Laboratory currently under constructi...
GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-D... » The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) will be placed in...
|GCF to host national championships this weekend|
|Tuesday, 19 June 2012 21:50|
THE Guyana Cycling Federation (GCF) will be holding its Annual National Cycling Championships in the mining town of Linden this Saturday and Sunday.
On Saturday, the time trials will be contested from 14:00hrs, from the top of Madewini Hill proceeding to the Toll Gate and back. Transportation leaves the National Park at 12:00hrs.
The following day, the national road race of which Walter Grant-Stuart is the defending champion will pedal off from Amelia’s Ward entrance, proceed to Madewini and return, for the seniors. The juniors will journey to Kuru Kuru Hill and return to the place of origin for the finish, while the ladies and veteran cyclists will go to Dora and return.
For Sunday’s event, transportation will depart from in front of Distribution Services Limited (DSL) on Mandela Avenue at 05:30hrs and, according to a press release sent from the GCF, both events are expected to be very competitive, taking into consideration the present form of the cyclists.
Grant-Stuart can expect stiff and sturdy competition from Alonso Greaves, Robin Persaud, Jude Bentley, Leer Nunes, Warren McKay, Marlon Williams, Enzo Matthews and Linden’s very own Orville Hinds, in his defence of the title.
For the junior category, of which Paul De Nobrega is the defending champion, the vast-improving Raynauth Jeffrey along with Raul Leal, Kurt La Rose and even young Alfie Sonaram are expected to give him a challenge for the crown.
Junior Niles is the Veterans category champion, but with the present form being displayed by Kennard Lovell, Stephen Fernandes, Shameer Baksh, Virgil Jones and Ian Jackson, he would need to ride with his ‘A’ form, if he intends to win this category once again.
Marica Dick and Naomi Singh are two worthy customers who can challenge defending ladies’ champion Hazina Barrett for her crown, but the cyclists from the mining town are no push-overs and she would be looking to not only give her home town fans something to cheer about, but also maintain her supremacy over her rivals.
- E-Networks and DBL on board with BCCI and BCB Independence Cup
- Carmichael shines for Club Crusoe
- Gordon gives back to cycling … 16-year-old Agard receives new bike
- Lumumba is new GS of GFA
- Registration process for second ‘Chow Pow’ 10/10 tournament under way
- Bravo’s Super Kings march into the final despite Smith half-century
- ‘World Challenge Day 2013’ being observed today … Dr Anthony to give motivational speech
- ‘I am innocent' - Sreesanth
- Dr Anthony calls for special cycling event to commemorate 50th Independence Anniversary
- Mackeson ‘Keep Your Five Alive’ - Albouystown ‘B’ and Sparta Boss in the mix as tournament reaches final six
- Jamaica steps up training ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
- RBC and Greaves say ‘Thanks’ to sponsors
- Emerging Bailey-Cole targets sub-10
- Defending champions Team Seejattan/Ten-Pow retain GMRSC Endurance title
- Vettori returns to New Zealand squad
- Chennai Super Kings take on Mumbai Indians in first IPL qualifier today
- England ponder top-order problems ahead of Ashes
- Mourinho to leave Real Madrid at end of season … PSG coach Ancelotti among candidates to take over
- Pistorius rules out 2013 return
- Pacers beat Knicks to join Heat in NBA Eastern Finals