Wednesday, 19 June 2013
One dead, two critical - in Mabura trail mishap » THE police are investigating a fatal accident that...
Several opened mails found at home of Berbice pos... » POLICE in Berbice are investigating the discovery ...
At Berbice Assizes… Pharmacist accused of rape f... » AN ACCUSED rapist was freed also of indecent assau...
Protest outside Albion court as accused wife kille... » SOME friends and family members of Prabhudial Tara...
Two husbands treated differently in domestic abuse... » TWO separate domestic abuse cases were called befo...
Guyana, Rwanda share experiences to improve solid ... » AT the invitation of the United Nations Developmen...
New $16.1M high-tech DHB control system undergoes ... » THE new Programme Logic Control (PLC) System insta...
To ensure higher level of service… $158.4M Polic... » COMMANDER-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, President ...
FAO recognises Guyana for meeting anti-hunger targ... » GUYANA is among 18 countries recognised at a speci...
|Sheriff Bar incident…|
|Wednesday, 25 January 2012 20:59|
Father, son remanded on joint wounding chargeA FATHER and son, who rent the Sheriff Bar on Sheriff Street, Georgetown, were yesterday remanded to prison on a joint felonious wounding charge.
Premchand Singh and Ravindra Singh, both of Lot 205 Lusignan, East Coast Demerara, appeared before Magistrate Hazel Octive-Hamilton and pleaded not guilty to the offence.
It is alleged that, on January 23, at Sheriff Street, they unlawfully and maliciously wounded David Bacchus with intent to maim, disfigure or cause him grievous bodily harm.
Police Sergeant Lionel Harvey, prosecuting, objected to bail for the duo, stating that they are flight risks.
The prosecutor said, after the incident, the father, Premchand Singh went to Suriname and the son, Ravindra, booked a flight to Trinidad. It was only after police took the son off an aircraft and arrested him that the father returned and was also apprehended.
Defence Counsel Glen Hanoman said the virtual complainant is out of danger but he was not surprised at the prosecutor’s objection, because the police failed to conduct a fair investigation.
Hanoman said the defendants are tenants of the virtual complainant’s family, from whom they are renting the downstairs to operate the Sheriff Bar.
The lawyer said the Singhs made several reports against the landlord who does “illegal things” at the premises but nothing was done.
“The virtual complainant was the attacker in the incident. He walks in and out of the Kitty Police Station as if he owns it,” said Hanoman.
According to him, when the incident occurred Ravindra Singh went to the Police Station and Bacchus told the police that he did not commit the offence, so he was released and told he can leave.
The lawyer said Ravindra Singh was on a flight to Trinidad when police pulled him from it and informed him that he was wanted for the crime.
The Singhs will make another Court appearance on February 3.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 25 January 2012 21:21|
- Magistrate changes pleas, postpones cases to today
- Husband remanded to prison for damaging wife’s kitchen utensils - and using abusive language, threatening behaviour
- Prosecutor states… Defendant shot in attempt to steal gun
- Bail denied man in minibus shooting incident
- Court told… Defendant charged with obstructing, cuffed policeman
- Man on cop assault, other charges granted bail
- Woman jailed for injuring disobedient stepson
- Alleged drag race drivers committed for causing death
- Dreadlocked ‘Fiah Lion’ jailed for trafficking marijuana
- Man fined for abusing policeman, disorderly behaviour
- Larceny defendant with other charges pending refused bail
- Grievous bodily harm defendant granted self-bail
- Damage to property offender asks for 21 days but gets six months
- Man remanded over West Coast phone cards robbery with violence
- Chief Justice grants bail totalling $1.9M to 12 petitioners
- Phone snatcher fined $50,000
- Man charged with inciting Benschop to commit murder granted bail
- Around the Courts… Frequent flyer jailed, fined for cocaine
- Accused Corentyne wife strangler makes court appearance
- Police Sergeant Vishnu Hunt, ...